[LON-CAPA-admin] 2 problems at once

Guy Albertelli II guy at albertelli.com
Wed Aug 1 14:09:50 EDT 2007

Hi Rob,

> In addition, during startup of the box (both plugged to the network
> or not), we're getting plenty of errors like "audit
> (1185989035.330:11): abc; denied {append} for pid=2119 comm="httpd"
> name="lonnet.log"..."  It stalls out at these errors.

You have not disabled SELinux on this machine.

You can disable SELinux by editing

/etc/selinux/config

And changing the value

SELINUX=enforcing

SELINUX=disabled

And rebooting.

> We are tempted to wipe the box clean and start over,

They were angered by you wiping out resources that other schools were
actively using, and then configuring your box to have the same name as
the hosted version of your domain.

They ask only that you _never_ wipe out /home

They are a forgiving set of gods, and are happy to hear that you are
perservering.

:-)

So if you want to do a reinstall that is fine, just backup /home in
case you accidently wipe it out, and during the install process don't
reformat /home. If you do and you have the backup we can resurrect the
machine.

> Here's the question:  What should we try next, and in what order?

Disable selinux. This should fix many causes of problems.

--
guy at albertelli.com   0-7-0-9-27,137