[LON-CAPA-admin] Dual core/dual processor

Guy Albertelli II guy at albertelli.com
Fri Sep 29 14:28:44 EDT 2006

Hi Lars,

> We are expecting to upgrade out server this Fall, and I was wondering
> about the difference between dual core vs. dual processor. Does one dual
> core processor give me about the same performance as two single core
> processors?

Yes.

> Is dual processors still recommended with lon-capa?

lon-capa loves CPUs the more CPUs the more simultaneous users you can
support.

We have a couple of dual core dual processor machines in use at MSU
(and soon will have one quad processor, dual core machine)

Scaling of number of simultatneous apache processes is (not
suprisingly) fairly linear. (4 total cores can serve ~4 times as many
pages per second)

--
guy at albertelli.com   0-7-1-6-27,137