[LON-CAPA-admin] [was LON-CAPA-users] mass resetting internal aauth passwords

Todd Ruskell truskell at mines.edu
Fri Sep 15 14:53:46 EDT 2006

Lars,

Going to LDAP was amazingly simple.  I talked to our LDAP/kerberos person and
explained what I wanted.  He then sent me an appropriate config
file: /etc/krb5.conf and a binary access key of sorts (you can tell I'm a
kerberos expert, eh <g>?):  /etc/krb5.keytab

I installed them both with the permissions the LDAP guy suggested:
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 659 Jun 12 12:34 krb5.conf
-rw-------  1 root root 302 Jun 12 12:35 krb5.keytab

and it "just worked".  You can use 'kinit' and 'klist' at the command line of
the server to check and see if the authentication works.  It did, so I went
in to LON-CAPA and changed authentication to Kerberos 5 and bingo, all done,
and worked the first time.

Your LDAP/kerberos person will have to tell you what to put in the krb5.conf
file, and will probably have to provide the keytab.

In my experimentation it appears best, if not required, to do this
authentication change while logged into the library server.  It also seemed
that the kerberos domain was case sensitive.

We've had no problems at all with this since implementing this summer.

However, we are currently in a "mixed mode" where people that already had
accounts are still internally authenticated, but all new accounts, and
password reset requests are done via LDAP.  So I will soon be out of the
password-resetting business!

If it is available, I highly recommend it over internal authentication.

Todd