[LON-CAPA-admin] Lunix distro options

Guy Albertelli II guy at albertelli.com
Thu Sep 7 16:01:49 EDT 2006

Hi Jason,

> I just got off the phone with one of our network guys and during our
> discussion he mentioned that it was "naughty" to have a server running FC
> because it is a development distro.

Hrrm, well they generally pathc Fedora after they patch RHEL so
security problems are not any worse really. The main problem is that
you need to upgrade at least everyother release since they only
provide updates for the two most recent Fedora releases.

The Fedora legacy project does provide updates for a slightly longer
period (at least another 2 release cycles).

> My question then is there really any risk to our school's network because we
> run FC?  If so, what other options should I peruse?  He mentioned Cent OS
> (I've never heard of it) and suse.  I work for a high school in a very small
> district and I like the fact that FC is free.

Cent OS is attempt to build a free version of RHEL out of the source
RPMS, we haven't tried doing a lon-capa install on it in house. But if
you want to try it out. The RHEL 4 instructions might work on it.

SuSE is also free and currently provides updates to the a release for at
least a two year period after release and LON-CAPA is tested on it.

Other free dists haven't been test with LON-CAPA.

--
guy at albertelli.com   0-7-1-6-27,137