[LON-CAPA-admin] Broken formula display (LaTeX) with https on SLES9 systems

Guy Albertelli II guy at albertelli.com
Tue Oct 24 23:49:22 EDT 2006

Hi Stefan,

> we nearly successfully changed all of our three LON-CAPA systems to
> https. Well, only NEARLY, because our SLES9 machines make troubles with
> formulas: <algebra> and LaTeX formulas using <m> with setting "convert
> to images" do not work anymore! The imgage link could be found in the
> HTML source, but instead of the image showing the formula, we see
> nothing. Our FC5 system works fine.
>
> If neccessary, I can send a list of what we changed on the SLES systems.
>
> We found error messages in /var/log/httpd/error_log:
> --------
> [...]
> [Tue Oct 24 15:37:52 2006] [error] [client 141.41.35.155] Premature end
> of script headers: /home/httpd/cgi-bin/mimetex.cgi
> --------

That's really odd. I can't think of any reason that mimetex.cgi would
at all care about this.

I checked the other SLES 9 server running in https mode (and the
Fedora ones) and can't see any issue.

You'll need to send that list of changes that you made in order for me
to have any guesses at all.

guy at albertelli.com   0-7-1-6-27,137