[LON-CAPA-admin] mrtg

Guy Albertelli II guy at albertelli.com
Mon Oct 23 11:32:46 EDT 2006

Hi Mark,

> Before I go knocking myself out too much here, anyone know of strange
> affects of 2.2.2 and mrtg?
>
> I just updated all of my systems this morning to 2.2.2. To confound
> things, of course, I also did a yum update - not paying nearly enough
> attention to what was updated.

What occurred is that we added more stingent restrictions to what
files the webserver is allowed to access by default.

Specifically we added a global no to loncapa_apache.conf:
<Directory />
Options None
AllowOverride None
order deny,allow
deny from all
</Directory>

And then added yes for dirs that were needed for lon-capa.

So if your mrtg files are in a non-loncapa expecting location and you
didn't have an explict allow directives for them it's likely the could
have been denied access because of this change.

(The reason for the change is that SLES and SuSE default apache
installs came with this more restricted view the RHEL/Fedora did so we
went with this to keep the different dists in sync.)

Sorry about the negative effects....

--
guy at albertelli.com   0-7-1-6-27,137