[LON-CAPA-admin] Auto enrolled timeout

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Wed May 3 16:37:38 EDT 2006

Hon Kie,

One question is whether the separate program (which works correctly) was
run as www, instead of root.  It should be run as root in order to
reproduce the conditions underwhich localenroll::fetch_enrollment() is run.

When you use "Update Roster Now" in lonpopulate, the
lonnet::fetch_enrollment_query() should result in a call to
localenroll::fetchenrollment() from lonsql on the library server  - see
lonsql::make_new_child().  You should check that lonsql is running.
Look for messages in lonsql.log and lonsql_errors.

Also if you add any print STDERR statements in lonsql to debug what
might be occurring you should find the corresponding output written to
/home/httpd/perl/logs/lonsql_errors.  You'll need to restart loncontrol
after adding any such debugging statements to
localenroll::fetch_enrollment().  Note: the original decision to use
lonsql here was motivated by a desire (in pre-loncnew days) to avoid
tying up a lonc/lond connection while waiting for classlist data to be
retrieved by localenroll::fetch_enrollment().

If you see a timeout then that means that lonnet::get_query_reply() did
not find /home/httpd/perl/tmp/$queryid.end within 200 s, where $queryid
is the value returned after submitting the fetchenrollment query in
lonnet::fetch_enrollment_query()  In your example, $queryid was
loncapa10.fsu.edu_2460_1146674707_2.

Stuart