[LON-CAPA-admin] Server Suggestions

lucasm at ohiou.edu lucasm at ohiou.edu
Sat Mar 25 17:01:43 EST 2006

Hi,

Just putting this out there for some quick systems advice.

We've been running 3 Dell Poweredge 2650's - Dual 2GHz Xeons, 2MB RAM,
dual power supply.
One has a 3 disk RAID array and a tape backup. We have one spare that I
recently pressed into service. All 4 chasses(spelling of plural?) are
interchangeable, so if one dies (particularly the library server), I just
switch out the disks and keep going.

They are now 3.5 years old, I'm seeing a few flaky SCSI issues on the
library servers (SCSI has gone offline a couple times in last 6 months,
which creates a mild panic). They are off warranty/service.

I'm getting ready to put in for funds for a replacement library server.
The idea would be to get two identical machines, so that if one dies I can
switch over to the other quickly. I'd then keep the 2650's going until
they drop.

Does anyone have suggestions? One obvious option is pick up two 2850s. How
much of an advantage is a 6850? Are there suggestions of nice AMD systems
that people have been happy with? I'm looking for rackmount.

Thanks!
Mark

Mark Lucas					email: lucasm at ohiou.edu
252D Clippinger Lab  				phone: (740)597-2984
Department of Physics and Astronomy             fax:   (740)593-0433
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701