[LON-CAPA-admin] authentification method for authors

Stuart Peter Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Mon Jun 26 16:10:19 EDT 2006

Stefan,

Please check the version of pwdutils you are running either using:

rpm -q pwdutils

or via yast -> Install and Remove Software -> Search (for pwdutils)

You need version 3.0.6 (available from the LON-CAPA repository) to allow
lcuseradd to set a password.

The version available in the core SLES9 packages (2.6.4-2.16) does not
support the --stdin option which is used by the LON-CAPA script, so this
needs to be updated to 3.0.6, if you wish to add users to your LON-CAPA
domain who will use filesystem authentication on log-in.  If you need to
update to 3.0.6, and wish to use yast you will need to have the LON-CAPA
included as a software source (see
http://install.loncapa.org/sles9_install.html).

Alternatively you could use wget to obtain the rpm directly:
wget
http://install.loncapa.org/suse/sles9/RPMS/i586/pwdutils-3.0.6-1.i586.rpm
(32 bit)

and use:

rpm -Uvh pwdutils-3.0.6-1.i586.rpm

or

wget
http://install.loncapa.org/suse/sles9/RPMS/x86_64/pwdutils-3.0.6-1.x86_64.rp
(64-bit)

and use
rpm -Uvh pwdutils-3.0.6-1.x86_64.rpm

to install it.

I tested the "Create User" function on a LON-CAPA library server running
SLES9 at MSU (with pwdutils 3.0.6) and was able to create a new user with
internal authentication.  With pwdutils 2.6.4-2.16 installed I get exactly
the error you report:

Creating user "xxxxx" in domain "yyyy"
Generating user: error: lcuseradd_failed:lcuseradd Unable to set password
Home server: no_host
Modifying Roles
Assigning au in /yyyy/, starting Mon Jun 26 15:03:19 2006: no_such_host

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group