[LON-CAPA-admin] auto-enrollment again

Peter Kovac kovac at gwu.edu
Thu Jan 12 16:56:58 EST 2006

    Hello again.  Per Guy's suggestion, I took a look through the
comments in /home/httpd/lib/perl/localenroll-std.pm  My perl is a bit
rusty (been a few years) and, to be honest, tends to be more hacks than
pretty code so I apologize if I seem dense.

    First, my eventual goal.  I have been completely unsuccessful at
getting access to a proper enrollment datastore.  However, our faculty
can easily produce classlists in tabular (CVS/Excel) format.  I'd like
to hack together something that will convert uploaded classlist tables
into proper XML and insert them into the auto-enrollment system.  I
will, of course, pass on said ugly hack to whomever wants it.

    I gather that fetch_enrollment is designed to generate XML files
that are then imported as class lists by other parts of the system.  My
reading of the perl seems to indicate that the actual work is done by
code somewhere other than /home/httpd/lib/perl/localenroll-std.pm or
that I'm supposed to write the interface between the enrollment and our
data source (vaguely recall something like that said at a conference).

    So, any suggestions for other places to look to get a better handle
on the enrollment framework?  Other advice?

    Thanks,
    Peter