[LON-CAPA-admin] Server migration

Stefan Bisitz st.bisitz at fh-wolfenbuettel.de
Fri Dec 15 11:15:33 EST 2006

Hi,

I would like to ask for some help concerning the migration of our
LON-CAPA-Server to new server hardware. We are going to change the
hardware in a few weeks.

We want to transfer all user accounts and all the data (including all
problems, courses and all course statistic data) from the old server to
the new one. The old server should be kept running until the new server
runs stable. This parallel usage of both servers, new and old, should
last for some days or weeks. Old OS is SLES9, new OS is FC5.

New harddiskdrives are neccessary. We cannot just move the one from the
old server to the new one.

What has to be done? What could cause difficulties? Does there already
exist documentation?

Just copy /home/*.* seems a bit too easy...

Thanks,
Stefan