[LON-CAPA-admin] auto create course

Stuart Peter Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Sun Oct 23 09:01:55 EDT 2005

Hi Hon Kie,

Multiple course coordinators can be included by adding additional users
within the XML describing the course to be created.  Just add an additional

In the example XML provided in
/home/httpd/lib/perl/LONCAPA/batchcreatecourse.pm
because the user in this case is the course owner and the course owner is
automatically given a Course Coordinator role, and no additional roles are
required for this user.

Users can be assigned multiple roles by including additional <role id="$id">
$id are cc, in, ta, ep, st (corresponding to course coordinator, instructor,
teaching assistant, exam proctor, student).

The second <user></user> block contains user information for a different
user and a single role for that user (in this case id="in" - instructor).
If the assigned role had been id="cc" both the course owner and the second
user would have received Course Coordinator roles in the new course.

Some discussion of the significance of the course owner designation can be
found in:

http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-admin/2005-August/001061.html

The documentation within /home/httpd/lib/perl/LONCAPA/batchcreatecourse.pm
states that XML file(s) describing courses that are to be created in domain
$dom are stored in  /home/httpd/perl/tmp/addcourse/$dom.

The documentation further states that the directory for retrieval of files
listed in @$requests is

/home/httpd/perl/tmp/addcourse/$dom/auto/pending if $context = auto

and

/home/httpd/perl/tmp/addcourse/$dom/web/$udom_$uname if $context = web

where @$requests is a reference to an array containing filenames of the
courses to be created by &create_courses().

Currently, the first of these cases is the only one implemented.  The
intention is that you will add XML files of courses to be created in domain
$dom to /home/httpd/perl/tmp/addcourse/$dom/auto/pending on the domain's
library server which will become the homeserver for the new courses.

Then when /home/httpd/perl/Autocreate.pl is run it will read the contents of
home/httpd/perl/tmp/addcourse/$dom/auto/pending.  Filenames of files within
this directory are put in @requests, and then
&LONCAPA::batchcreatecourse::create_courses() is called with a reference to
the @requests array passed as the first argument, and the context argument
set to auto. After &create_courses() has run, files within
/home/httpd/perl/tmp/addcourse/$dom/auto/pending are moved to
/home/httpd/perl/tmp/addcourse/$dom/auto/processed.

In this case context is auto, because the intent is that Autocreate.pl would
be run automatically by a cron job, although it can of course be run from
the comaand line as www.  Note:  /home/httpd/perl/Autocreate.pl requires two
arguments: coursedomain  username:domain
where coursedomain is the domain of the new courses, and username:domain is
the username:domain of a Domain Coordinator in that domain.

At MSU a cron job is run every 10 minutes to check for new online course
requests submitted by faculty using an online form run on a separate server.
If there are any requests then the corresponding XML file(s) are copied to
/home/httpd/perl/tmp/addcourse/$dom/auto/pending on the MSU library server,
and Autocreate.pl is run.

The plan (for 2.1) is to modify loncreatecourse,pm (called by a DC via the
CCRS button) to allow upload of an XML file via the web interface, followed
by a call to &LONCAPA::batchcreatecourse::create_courses() with the context
argument set to web. When this is implemented, XML course request files
uploaded via CCRS will be stored in

/home/httpd/perl/tmp/addcourse/$dom/web/$udom_$uname

where $udom and $uname are the domain and username of the Domain Coordinator
using CCRS.

The original interactive single course creation functionality in CCRS will
continue to be available as one of two options when a DC launches CCRS (the
other option will be upload of an XML file for batch creation of one or more
courses).

Stuart

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA support/development