[LON-CAPA-admin] Auto course creation

Guy Albertelli II guy at albertelli.com
Wed Nov 30 17:12:12 EST 2005

Hi Hon-Kie,

It was a timeout problem.

In lond I saw this:
Wed Nov 30 16:28:06 2005 (546): LWP GET: 500 Timeout for fsu/7q56211e6188e437afsul2/default.sequence (http://127.0.0.1/userfiles/fsu/7q56211e6188e437afsul2/default.sequence)

The reason this was timing out was because apache was taking a long
time doing DNS lookups on the hostnames in hosts.tab

Since we removed IP address from the hosts.tab we need to do DNS
queries, production servers are set by default do this at webserver
startup time.

Development servers do this by default on an as needed basis.

For some reason doing the DNS queries on your dev server was taking
about 3 minutes. This was long enough that lonc gives up on lond, and
lond gives up on the webserver that they will ever here a reply.

I have fixed your dev server for now by making it do the DNS queries
at server startup by uncommenting line 6232:

  # FIXME: dev server don't want this, production servers _do_ want  this
  #&get_iphost();

Sorry about that.

--
guy at albertelli.com   0-7-1-9-27,137