[LON-CAPA-admin] Adding Access servers

Todd Ruskell truskell at mines.edu
Wed Mar 30 16:19:51 EST 2005

Mark (and likely Guy),

Thanks for the solution below.  I took Mark's implementation to our network
folks, and got this positive response with a caveat:

> We can and will support the round-robin scheme for resolving IP
> addresses.  I should say I've never done it, so I'm not sure exactly
> what all the possible gotchas are, but it's pretty standard practice and
> should work.
>
> We can't however accomplish this the way you describe.  The feature
> (actually it was considered a bug) that allowed an alias to point to
> multiple systems ad described in the quote you sent was removed/fixed in
> recent version of BIND.
>
> The approved method of achieving the same result is to have multiple
> hosts that actually have the same hostname.  That is we could have two
> hosts defined with the name "loncapa.mines.edu", each with different IP
> addresses.

So this brings me to questions probably for Guy:

The hosts.tab file contains hostnames, LON-CAPA names, and IP addresses.
1) Will LON-CAPA choke if two IP addresses have the hostnames?
2) Should we then give our access servers the same, or different, LON-CAPA
names?
3) Or is there some other way to manifest the load-balancing that I should
point our network folks to?

Thanks for your help.  I'm learning more about the inner workings of
load-balancing than I ever thought I would, but that's a "good thing".

Todd

--
Dr. Todd Ruskell
Lecturer, Department of Physics              Office:  Meyer Hall 326