[LON-CAPA-admin] Adding Access servers

Todd Ruskell truskell at Mines.EDU
Wed Mar 30 00:02:52 EST 2005

Hi all,

We're about to finally incorporate two access servers, and simultaneously
update our library server to 1.3.x,  and I have a couple of config questions
before we jump right in.  First, what I believe I understand I need to do:

1) When asked, select "Access Server" when I install lon-capa, but choose the
same domain
2) Add the 2 access servers to the hosts.tab on both access servers and the
library server.
3) restart loncontrol and httpd on all machines
4) ask that the access servers eventually get added to the hosts.tab which
gets distributed in the tarball.

Now the questions to which I haven't been able to dig up answers in the
archives or faq-o-matic.

1) If I have a course that uses resources from another domain, and I log into
the access server, will I be able to use those resources if the access server
hasn't propagated to the other domain's hosts.tab?

2) I will now have 3 servers, call them library, access1 and access2.  In the
base installed mode, I'm guessing that I need to tell students to change
their habits and connect directly into access1 or access2, rather than
library.  Is that correct?  In this situation, I suppose it is also possible
that everyone logs into access1, while access2 sits completely idle until the
load limit on access1 is reached.  Is this true?  If so, this strikes me as
inefficient, which leads to:

3) In an ideal situation, I'd like to tell students to just go to, e.g.,
loncapa.mines.edu, and have lon-capa or some other mechanism figure out how
to truly load-balance between my two access servers, but keep direct access
to the library essentially for faculty only.  I'm presuming this is possible.
What tools have been used, or are recommended to implement this?  I seem to
recall Mark saying something about DNS load balancing a while back, but it's
not clear to me if that's automagically part of lon-capa, or if I need extra
tools.

Thanks for your help,

Todd