[LON-CAPA-admin] please add us to the hosts list

Gerd Kortemeyer korte at lite.msu.edu
Fri Jun 10 14:58:48 EDT 2005

Hi Rob,

On Jun 10, 2005, at 1:58 PM, Robert Lance Mock wrote:

> Just seemed natural.

Well ...

> However, I imagine that the domain by the same name on my hosted
> account would interfere with that...

Yes!!! This will create a big old mess.

> Can that existing hosted domain just be changed to "beaverton"?

Nope, cannot change domain names on an existing machine without a
*lot* of trouble.

You now have two library servers in your domain, the hosted one
(brsl1) and your personal one (brsl2). Your existing usernames within
domain brs will continue to be housed on the hosted machine.

Since you might have created accounts while your machine was not yet
connected, there was no safeguard in place. If you already made user
accounts on the new machine that have the same name as on the old
machine, THOSE WILL NEED TO BE REMOVED ON THE ROOT LEVEL from the new
machine. Please let me know the root password by telephone (517)
282-6446, so I can go in and remove overlapping accounts from the new
machine.

You will need to make yourself new not-yet-existing usernames within
your domain if you would like to have them housed on the new machine.

- Gerd.