[LON-CAPA-admin] New major release 2.0.0

Stuart Peter Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Fri Aug 19 17:54:36 EDT 2005

Hi Jim,

The LON-CAPA prerequisites rpm and the other rpms required by LON-CAPA, but
absent from the standard SuSE 9.2 distribution were initially built for
32-bit architecture, so currently RPMS for x86_64 are missing.  However, I
hope to have that rectified soon, as I have spent part of today building
RPMS for SuSE 9.2 for x86_64. I still have issues to resolve for four of the
packages.

Stuart

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA development/support

Jim Maxka writes:

> Hi Stuart -- Is it possible that loncapa 2.0.0 is not compiled for x86_64?
>  It won't install for me???? .....
> Stuart Peter Raeburn wrote:
>
>> Hi Martin,
>> RPMS required by LON-CAPA but absent from the standard distribution for
>> SuSE 9.2 can be found at
>> http://install.loncapa.org/suse/9.2/RPMS/
>> A number of these (including the apache package) were built starting from
>> the srpms you helpfully provide on your site at SFU.
>> Instructions for installing LON-CAPA on SuSE (applicable to a fresh
>> install) are available at:
>> http://install.loncapa.org/suse9.2_install.html
>> In the past the suggested upgrade path for users upgrading LON-CAPA
>> servers from a version of Fedora to a later version has been to make
>> back-ups of /home and /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/group and
>> /etc/httpd/conf/loncapa.conf before doing a fresh install, but without
>> reformatting the partition containing /home.
>> Restoration of the backed-up files from /etc after installing the OS, but
>> before installing the latest version of LON-CAPA has been the next step.
>> Something similar might be appropriate for a SuSE upgrade, although I
>> haven't explored it myself yet, but will be doing so soon, prior to
>> building RPMS for SuSE 9.3.
>> Stuart Raeburn
>> MSU LON-CAPA development/support
>>

>>> We are currently running SuSE-9.1.
>>> In oder to get loncapa working under SuSE 9.1 I compiled about 30
>>> packages
>>> (e.g., apache-1.3.28) that loncapa requires but are not included with
>>> SuSE-9.1.
>>> Since loncapa-2.0.0 is will work with SuSE-9.2 the plan is to upgrade
>>> to SuSE-9.2 first and then upgrade to loncapa-2.0.0. However, upgrading
>>> to SuSE-9.2 creates a problem: the perl versions conflict, thus I have
>>> to uninstall all those 30 packages that I compiled for SuSE-9.1.
>>> The question is: has somebody compiled all those extra packages that
>>> loncapa-2.0.0 requires already for SuSE-9.2? If yes, where can I get
>>> them? It would be much, much easier to install these together with
>>> the upgrade to SuSE-9.2 installing all of them first only to reinstall
>>> them later.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Martin