[LON-CAPA-admin] backup of /home

Michael W Edwards mwedward at uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 19 08:59:22 EDT 2005

I think scp follows symlinks and essentially copies the file to where
the link was.  Try tarring up the home dir first if you have enough disk
space, as it will preserve the links and ownership of files.  You could
also check out rsync via ssh.  Its really nice and provides an easy way
to do incremental and full copies of data - its algorithm is pretty
smart and only updates the differences of files, and its highly tunable
and can be scripted or turned into a cronjob.  Or you could do some old
school tar copy via ssh action :)

Mike