[LON-CAPA-admin] New major release 2.0.0

Stuart Peter Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Thu Aug 18 20:35:48 EDT 2005

Hi Martin,

RPMS required by LON-CAPA but absent from the standard distribution for SuSE
9.2 can be found at

http://install.loncapa.org/suse/9.2/RPMS/

A number of these (including the apache package) were built starting from
the srpms you helpfully provide on your site at SFU.

Instructions for installing LON-CAPA on SuSE (applicable to a fresh install)
are available at:

http://install.loncapa.org/suse9.2_install.html

In the past the suggested upgrade path for users upgrading LON-CAPA servers
from a version of Fedora to a later version has been to make back-ups of
/home and /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/group and
/etc/httpd/conf/loncapa.conf before doing a fresh install, but without
reformatting the partition containing /home.

Restoration of the backed-up files from /etc after installing the OS, but
before installing the latest version of LON-CAPA has been the next step.

Something similar might be appropriate for a SuSE upgrade, although I
haven't explored it myself yet, but will be doing so soon, prior to building
RPMS for SuSE 9.3.

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA development/support