[LON-CAPA-admin] Re: [LON-CAPA-users] load balancing between servers

Guy Albertelli II guy at albertelli.com
Mon Sep 13 15:33:49 EDT 2004

Hi Ray,

>      How can I tell if load-balancing is working between the servers listed in
> /home/httpd/lonTabs/spare.tab
> ?

Overload a machine.

Try loggin into it. You shuld end up on a different machine.

> Does load-balancing affect the numbers of logins, as shown by
> userstatus.pl, in any way?

Load balancing is done when loggin in and at no other time.

Once logged in the user does not shift between machines.

> What do the students see?

Probably nothing.

> i.e. is it totally transparent?  (i.e. they remain
> logged in on the server they originally accessed?)

Nearly transparent, if they go to nernst.chem.sfu.ca, and login, if
nernst decides it is overloaded it will ask the other servers for
their load mesasures if (for instance) lewis wan't overloaded, the
only change the sutudent should notice is that the urls is now
lewis.chem.sfu.ca

Otherwise everything should look and act the same.

--
guy at albertelli.com  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-3-4-