[LON-CAPA-admin] 64 bit

Martin Siegert siegert at sfu.ca
Tue Oct 26 13:36:42 EDT 2004

Hi Jim,

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 01:18:04PM -0400, Guy Albertelli II wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> > I just got a 64 bit computer to play with and I tried to install
> > loncapa.  Are any of the i386.rpms compatible with x86_64?
>
> They might be. But if we had access to an x86_64 machine we could
> rebuild the RPMS. Which would be nice to be able to do.
>
> > Core 3 is out next week.  Any plans here?
>
> Nope.
>
> > Is SuSE the way to go here?

I am running SuSE 9.1 on two dual Opteron boxes and I am very impressed:
I did not run into a single problem. Unfortunately these are not
LON-CAPA boxes thus I did not build the rpms for it.
However, I have src.rpm packages for all rpms that I had to build
additionally for LON-CAPA on SuSE 9.1:

ftp://ftp.sfu.ca/pub/linux/loncapa/suse/9.1/SRPMS

It should not be too difficult to recompile the SRPMs for x86_64.

Cheers,
Martin

--
Martin Siegert