[LON-CAPA-admin] 64 bit

Michael W Edwards mwedward at uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 26 12:13:18 EDT 2004

Jim,

I've gotten Lon-capa 1.2.1 up and running on SLES9 x86_64. Here's a
quick outline of the effort:

- Follow the Manual install from tarballs.

- Compiled all the Perl modules by hand for my first go round, using
tricks from this thread
http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-dev/2004-September/001300.ht
ml extensively where Martin got Lon-Capa working on SuSE.

- Compiled Apache-1.3.31 and mod_perl by hand.

- Modified distprobe with fake info so it would build Lon-Capa
correctly.

- Guy was nice enough to compile up an x86_64 version of tth.so for me.

- Hacked up lonnet.pm's setup_random_from_rndseed to reduce the 64bit
randoms I was getting into the range desired by
Math::Random::random_set_seed

- Blessed /usr/bin/suidperl as setuid.

This was my first time working with Lon-Capa and after getting the hang
of how it works this wasn't too bad to implement, the hardest part was
working around the Red Hat and Fedora specific nature of Lon-Capa.

Mike Edwards
ATLAS
University of Illinois Urbana Champaign