[LON-CAPA-admin] Re: customized login screen

Stuart Peter Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Fri Mar 12 11:26:07 EST 2004

Felicia,

Domain-specific settings are stored in a $domain.tab file in
/home/httpd/lonTabs/lonDomColors (replace $domain with the name of the
domain e.g., msu.tab, sfu.tab etc.).

When rendering pages for a specific domain, LON-CAPA will use any parameters
defined within the domain's $domain.tab file in
/home/httpd/lonTabs/lonDomColors to set colors and logos.  If a particular
parameter has not been set in the domain's $domain.tab, then LON-CAPA will
default to the value stored for the particular parameter in the default.tab
file.  Hence the default.tab file contains a complete list of all the
display parameters that can be set.  Typically a domain's $domain.tab file
will include entries for only a small subset of these, and as a result will
override the defaults for only a small number of parameters.

The one exception to this is the domain logo itself which appears in the
bottom left corner of the main (white) panel in the log-in page. In this
case, when rendering the log-in page LON-CAPA does not consult the
$domain.tab file, but instead will look in the directory:
/home/httpd/html/adm/lonDomLogos for a $domain.gif file (e.g., msu.gif).  If
a file is found it will be incorporated in the page, but if a $domain.gif
file is not found, then text of the domain description will be displayed
instead.

When a new domain.tab file is added for a domain in the LON-CAPA network, it
should be checked into CVS, and a new entry added to loncapafiles.lpml so
that it will be included as part of the LON-CAPA package that is used to
install or update LON-CAPA on any server in the network. The same is true of
any domain-specific images added to /home/httpd/html/adm/lonDomLogos

e.g., msu.gif, headermsu.gif

These should be added to CVS, and corresponding entries added to
loncapafiles.lpml in CVS.

The web server does not need to be restarted for these changes to take
effect.

Stuart

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA support/development