[LON-CAPA-admin] Server hung

H. K. Ng ng at martech.fsu.edu
Wed Feb 18 12:48:14 EST 2004

At 12:26 PM 2/18/04 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>At USC we have had the same symptoms.  We originally thought it was a
>hardware issue and replaced a harddrive and controller card because we saw
>I/O errors.  We still get this problem from time to time and the only way
>to correct it is to power the computer down and backup again. Now our logs
>show nothing but it will still hang.  Today the machine hung and would not
>display the webpage.  When I tried to look at the processes running it
>would hang on the request.

I got the same problem the first time it hung this morning. I was connected
to the server via ssh and when I did a su so that I can look at the logs or
processes, it hang after I typed the su password. Once before, it also hang
when I am directly connected to the server. So far I don't see anything
that seems obvious. -hk