[LON-CAPA-admin] access server installation

Martin Siegert siegert at sfu.ca
Thu Feb 12 13:26:28 EST 2004

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 11:54:50AM -0600, Nathan Schoenack wrote:

> Thanks for replying, Martin.  It's a read-only SAMSUNG 152-G CDROM.  I did
> try to use all of the SCSI drivers Red Hat offers in the install, but none
> of them 'stuck'.  For my debian linux machines in the department I do the
> SCSI emulation with much success.
>
> Out of curiosity I'm trying to put a Debian install on the machine.  The
> installer sees the cdrom with no problems...Aarrggh!

That is not that surprising, because a current Debian distro (woody) is
much newer than the two year old unsupported RH7.3. I.e., you should
expect better hardware support in woody as in any other current distro.

To get around your problem though: try a network install from a nearby
ftp server. The point is that after installing RH7.3 and upgrading
to the latest rpms (in particular the latest kernel) my guess is that
you end up with an OS that recognizes your cdrom drive just fine.
The problem is that the kernel used for the installation on the RH7.3
cd is so old that it does not recognize your drive. The latest kernel
for RH7.3 (2.4.20-28.7) is much more recent.

Cheers,
Martin

P.S.: Let's just hope that the network install recognizes your NIC ...