[LON-CAPA-admin] Re: LON-CAPA and RedHat Support

Todd Ruskell truskell at Mines.EDU
Mon Nov 10 15:52:34 EST 2003

As long as Guy mentioned me, I thought I'd throw in my 2cents.  I think
I was actually at greater than 99% in terms of my Debian Woody install.
It took a significant bit of downloading, and I had to create some
symbolic links due to differences between RH and Debian, but considering
it was my very first ever LON-CAPA install, it wasn't horrible.  (Going
back through the mail archives of late May and June, looking at the
conversations between myself and Guy, your opinions may vary).  We used
the install for some initial basic course setup testing, as well as
problem creation, and it worked quite nicely.

Any lingering issues we may have had are now long forgotten, since the
install was on my desktop box, which now has other needs, including php,
which conflicts.  One of the items on my long to-do list is to put
together some kind of "HOW-TO", with some packaged files, for those of
you interested in using Debian, but as Guy said, each install takes
awhile, and it is easy to forget about required changes made earlier in
the system, which are critical to proper functionality.

Speaking of which, what's the best way to do a "clean wipe" of LON-CAPA,
short of a rebuild?  Is there a --uninstall switch anywhere?

Todd

--
Dr. Todd Ruskell
Lecturer, Department of Physics		Office: Meyer Hall 326