[LON-CAPA-admin] Re: LON-CAPA and RedHat Support

Peter Kovac kovac at gwu.edu
Wed Nov 5 13:29:37 EST 2003

    The discussion of what distribution to support is great and all but
why is LON-CAPA limiting itself to one distribution over another?  This
is, in my opinion, one of the greatest failings of this project.  L-C
offers a wonderful platform-independance on the client side but
restricts the server to one outdated version of one flavor an OS with
dozens and dozens of (free) options.  Certainly many people have their
own preferences and superstitions but it might help wider-spread
adoption to be able to tell a boss/manager/dean/director that 'sure we
can use your favorite UNIX' be it Solaris, *BSD, Gentoo...

    Certainly LON-CAPA requires an installation of MySQL, Apache, Perl,
gnuplot, the system itself, and...?  The only *real* difference between
any given distribution is (1) support from the company (2) installation
tool, (3) proprietary configuration tools like YaST, (4) file system
layout -- which using LSB should be standardized, and (5) choice of
apt/emerge vs. rpm vs. ...

    Given that I haven't looked through the inner workings of the code,
the following should be taken with a grain of salt.  But, if L-C only
requires the above tools plus others available as rpm's, it seems like
for any given RPM-based distribution (Fedora/RedHat, Mandrake, SuSE,
...) a .src.rpm should be fairly easy to produce that checks appropriate
RPM dependencies and does the install.  I must admit I've always been
baffled by the strict adherence to not only RedHat but RedHat 7.x -- I
just can't think of a single tool that's in use that's not available and
standard on all the other distributions.  This would make the automatic
checking of software (CHECKRPMS) moot but that's generally up to the
(super-)user of a given installation as is and there are other tools for
it: apt-get, SuSE's (free) online update, etc.  Also, a standard gnumake
would be fantastic.  If the problem is related to where tools are
placed, simple use of environment variables, command-line options, or
./configure should take care of it...

    With that said -- if one is going to go for just one RPM-based
distro, I'm all for SuSE.  They have excellent configuration tools, a
wonderfully easy setup, and free on-line updates.  Excellent tools and,
at least in my opinion, easier to use 'out of the box' than many other
distributions -- great for L-C's target demographic.

    -Peter

--
Peter Kovac
Systems Coordinator

(202) 994-3811
kovac at gwu.edu
--
"Heh heh heh... You just lost five dollars." -Bender