[LON-CAPA-admin] Dynamic Plots on Debian

Guy Albertelli II guy at albertelli.com
Wed Jun 25 14:25:32 EDT 2003

Hi Todd,

> One problem I've run into is that dynamically generated plots don't seem
> to get generated/stored properly for me.  I just get the little broken
> image icon, and when I right-click on the image and try to view or
> download it, not surprisingly I get a Not Found error:
>
> The requested URL /cgi-bin/plot.gif was not found on this server.
>
> So I went poking for cgi-bin, and found one here:  /home/httpd/cgi-bin,
> as I think I expect.  However, it seems to have the following access
> privileges:

What is in you httpd.conf for the  ScriptAlias?

It should either not be set in there (and thus use the value
loncapa_apache.conf sets) or set to

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/home/httpd/cgi-bin/"

It that is correct, can you look for error messages in
/var/log/apache/error.log  that mention plot.gif?

It most likely would be complaining about not being able to generate
gifs.

The easiest solution to solve this is likely (as root):

1) apt-get remove libgd-dev gnuplot
2) apt-get install libgd-gif1 libgd-gif1-dev
3) wget http://aleron.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/gnuplot/gnuplot-3.7.3.tar.gz
4) tar xzvf gnuplot-3.7.3.tar.gz
5) cd gnuplot-3.7.3
6) ./configure --with-gd