[LON-CAPA-admin] [Fwd: RHN Errata Alert: Updated apache, httpd, and mod_ssl packages available]

Gerd Kortemeyer korte at lite.msu.edu
Mon Feb 10 09:06:43 EST 2003

Please see below.

Linux, just like Windows and Mac OS, usually has several bugfixes posted
per month, some of which are security relevant (like the one below).

Since we had problems in the past with servers not being up-to-date on
operating system fixes, and then had to spend a significant amount of
time (including downtime for you) on cleaning up the machines again
after being compromised, we build a script that shipped with 0.6 and
checks on the update status of your server. Please do pay attention to
these ALERT messages - we actually see quite a lot of ALERT messages
float by regarding outdated RPMs on LON-CAPA servers, where some systems
apparently have not been maintained for several months.

There are two ways how you can keep your box up-to-date: We are
providing a RedHat mirror server, and you may use the command provided
right in the messages you get. You may also use Redhat's update service
by starting up2date as root - you only have to sign up once.

Unfortunately, keeping a server maintained is continual work, since
certain individuals apparantly have nothing better to do than to prey on
somebody else's time and resources. Keeping your server up-to-date over
several years, in terms of workload, does not even come close to the
work involved in cleaning up a compromised system ... so do it.