[LON-CAPA-admin] FINAL FINAL update on LON-CAPA and linux.slapper.worm

Scott Harrison sharrison at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Sep 17 16:07:00 EDT 2002

Closure closure.

I am wrong on point #9.

> 9. Now...if only there were some way to convince RedHat to religiously
>    update all their RPMs with security patches, the solution in #8 would be
>    complete.

Quoting Martin: "The newest RedHat openssl packages contain all the
security patches that went into openssl-0.9.6e, i.e., RedHat patched
their versions instead of upgrading to 0.9.6e (for very good reasons:
the openssl team explicitly says that they do not (!!) provide downward
compatibility to earlier versions)."

So, RedHat's RPM 0.9.6b is indeed secure.

(And in the future, I will try to shorten threads like this...........)

Regards,
Scott

Scott Harrison, sharrison at users.sourceforge.net