[LON-CAPA-admin] samba install problem

Scott Harrison sharrison at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Oct 10 21:09:25 EDT 2002

Hi Lars:

Samba is a reasonable solution.

However,
the LON-CAPA software itself no longer directly enables Samba connectivity.

Rather,
we expect system administrators (human beings) to personally supervise
the configuration of Samba on their LON-CAPA machine.

This is all because
we cannot hope to have a 100% perfect auto-samba-ifying solution
amongst different RedHat distributions, samba releases,
system administrator philosophies, and institutional networks and firewalls.

As a general rule, if things are not 100% reliable in the installation,
auto-configuring, and upgrading, the costs outweigh the benefits.

By all means, configuring your machine to support Samba is a good idea.

Regards,
Scott