[LON-CAPA-admin] longin failed

Scott Harrison sharrison at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Nov 16 10:25:21 EST 2002

Hi Minoru:

You should not need to FQDN via ServerName inside httpd.conf.

A common RedHat glitch of new installations (RedHat's fault, not LON-CAPA)
is the generation of /etc/hosts.

It should look something like this:
--begin--
127.0.0.1		localhost.localdomain localhost
12.34.56.78		www.myschool.edu myschool
---end---

New RedHat installations have a way of erroneously merging
the two lines which produces an error similar to the one you describe.
(This RedHat error has lasted from 6.0 all the way to 8.0...
 someday they will fix it.)

I would also double check your machine's entry inside
 /home/httpd/lonTabs/hosts.tab and /etc/httpd/conf/loncapa.conf.

Regards,
Scott